Professional guidance to where and how to buy powder coating powder
Powder coating is not just the coating used to hot-up vehicles. It is a highly protective coating method that is used to protect substrates from corrosion, chemicals, weather, and physical damage while providing an attractive drip-and-sag-free finish. Powder coating is also a cost effective coating option as it produces little to no waste; Powder coating powder overspray can be collected and recycled, which is partly the reason behind its environmentally friendly cred. All these qualities make powder coating attractive, and there are many companies in South Korea from which you can buy powder coating powder for industrial applications.
In this article we look at different types of powder coating powder and give you the information you need to buy the right one. We also look at where to buy powder coating powder and the brands and companies that sell them in South Korea.
Special effects add to the price of powder coating powder
Most powder companies will produce a range of “standard” colours, with the option to choose another RAL colour that they can produce for you. These options will be represented in their powder coat colour chart or their sample cards. Powder coat colours can also be tailor-made for your specific needs, though not all companies provide this service. The colour options will start with the basic solid colour standard, and then get more exciting (and more expensive) from there. Powder coating comes in a range of special effect finishes which are not available in liquid paint. These special powders include:
- Gloss – A powder coating finish comes in levels of gloss from matte with no shine to full gloss, which is the shiniest. Between these are satin and semigloss.
- Colour effects – These include translucent finishes, which add colour while also allowing the metal substrate to gleam through, and dormant powders – a bright candy finish, this is a two step effect with a typically metallic base coat and a clear top coat. These are particularly used on bikes.
- Metallics – A metallic sheen or sparkle effect caused by the inclusion of metallic pigments like aluminium flake or mica, ranging from shimmer to glitter. They come in bonded and unbonded (which describes how the metal is incorporated). Unbonded is the cheaper but less consistent finish. Metallics are generally more expensive due to the extra process involved in making them.
- Textures – These include sand (sandpaper appearance), hammer (like a hammered metal surface), wrinkle (commonly used on items like gym machines – rough yet smooth, with depth), and river vein (an almost wet look finish with a dimpled and crinkled effect). Textured finishes are usually more expensive because they require thicker films and special application methods.
Buy powder coating powder brands available in South Korea
If you are looking to buy powder coating powder for your business, or have a business that requires powder coating powders for specialty applications, there are several big companies operating in South Korea who provide powders for your needs. These companies include AkzoNobel, PPG, Valspar and Axalta, just to name a few. Below is a table outlining a few of the brands available on the Korean market.
If you are looking to buy powder coating powder, we are here to help! We will connect you with one of our coating partners to provide you with the best coating for your project. The quotation service is free, and our experts will help you determine the right coating. Simply use the “Request a Quote” button beneath this article and fill out the contact form so we can get started.
|POWDER MANUFACTURER||POWDER COATING POWDER BRAND(S)|
|PPG Industries Ltd||Envirocron, Enviracryl, Duranar, Coraflon and Silversan|
|AkzoNobel Powder Coatings Ltd||Interpon and Resicoat|
|Valspar Powder Coatings Ltd (Inver)||Greenbar, Pipeclad and Valde|
|Axalta Powder Coatings||Alesta, Abcite, and Nap-Gard|
The different types of powder coating powder
Powder coating is available in a range of resin types from the traditional epoxy and polyester to the more specific fluoropolymers and nylon. Next to the resin, it is also important to understand the curing process of the powder – when you buy powder coating, you should know whether you need a thermosetting or thermoplastic powder.
They are both applied through the usual powder coating methods, but thermoplastic powders are more flexible, where thermoset powders are heat stable. Most powder coating powders are thermoset powders. Below is a list of the main resin types and their applications. It is important to choose coating products based on the substrate, environment, and use that it is required for.
- EPOXY – a thermosetting, impact resistant, durable, corrosion resistant, chemical resistant, and highly adhesive powder type. It is not UV stable and therefore never used as a topcoat in exterior applications
Uses: as a protective coating in interior applications and factory equipment
Example: Axalta Nap-Gard FBE Powder Coating and Teknos EP 8024
- POLYESTER – a thermosetting powder which is flexible, durable, resistant and versatile as well as being the cheapest powder coating powder.
Uses: for exterior applications
Example: Prismatic Powder Color Range and Sherwin Williams Powdura TGIC Polyester
- EPOXY-POLYESTER – tough, colour stable, chemical resistant and decorative finish which results from a hybrid of epoxy and polyester powder coating powders.
Uses: for office furniture, consumer products, shopfitting and interior applications
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon 700
- NYLON – a thermoplastic powder that provides looks and soft touch
Uses: for kids’ playground equipment, shopping carts and wire shelving as well as applications in the healthcare industry
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon TP RTS
- ACRYLIC – chemical resistant powder which helps create smooth, chip resistant clear coats on a variety of surfaces.
Uses: automotive industry
Example: PPG Enviracryl
- FLUOROPOLYMER – a powder known for its excellent weatherability, UV stability, and colour and gloss retention: longest lasting, best-performing exterior powder coating powder.
Uses: exterior industrial and architectural applications
Example: PPG Duranar and Axalta Alesta AR500
- POLYURETHANE – a thermosetting, corrosion resistant, UV stable, durable powder which is the most expensive one on the market.
Uses: exterior applications with a need for hardness and a lower film build, furniture, garage doors, lighting, etc.
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon 200 RTS and PPG Envirocron Polyurethane
- SILICONE – a heat resistant powder coating powder (up to 540°C).
Uses: engines and exhaust systems, ovens, stoves, lightning and many others that need heat resistance
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon HT 450 RTS